Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Why work for our Y?
The YMCA of Saskatoon aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our community. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature & Scope:
The YMCA of Saskatoon provides a variety of health, fitness, recreation, and community programs to more than 2,500 members that represent the diversity of Saskatoon and its communities.
- Provide supervision for swimmers while on active guard duty.
- Teach swimming lessons while providing a safe and fun environment
- Ensure the safety of all pool users in all areas of the YMCA. This includes all areas accessible to the public and restricted areas.
- Greet and welcome all members, volunteers and staff who enter the pool area.
- Check all rescue equipment to ensure it is in good condition for the upcoming shift.
- Check the deck, pool, and equipment room before and after each shift to ensure it is kept neat and clear of obstacles. Note: any equipment in need of repair should be reported.
- Be knowledgeable of YMCA programs, activities, and pricing.
- Actively work towards the prevention of accidents and injuries.
- Render assistance immediately when accidents occur.
- Educate and instruct the public on pool and water safety at all times.
- Practice good public relations; be accessible, polite, and helpful.
- Be punctual and wear appropriate attire for work (staff uniform).
- Attend in-service training and staff training.
- Commit themselves to maintain and further develop their qualifications.
- Keep all records up to date, legible, and accurate.
- Carry out water tests when assigned.
- Get along with other staff members and use a professional approach to dealing with conflicts.
- Wear any safety equipment required for janitorial or maintenance tasks.
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Have a current YMCA Swimming Instructor award, SFL/LSI, or WSI
- Have a current NLS or Red Cross Lifeguarding Award.
- Have a current Standard First Aid and CPR-C with AED award (Red Cross, St. John’s Ambulance, or AEC);
- Have lots of energy and be enthusiastic
- Various daytime and weekend shifts.
- Approximately 8-15 hours/week
- Shifts beginning in June, 2019
- Apply by May 31, 2019
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
YMCA of Saskatoon
*Please note that only those selected will be contacted to arrange an interview. Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Criminal Record Check at the candidate’s expense.*