Pedagogical Leader: YMCA Child Development Martensville Centre
Direct Supervisor: Manager of Child Development
Reporting to the Manager of Child Development, the Pedagogical Leader will be a full-time employee responsible for a number of duties surrounding the day-to-day operations of the YMCA Child Development Centre Martensville for children ages 6 weeks to 6 years. This includes ensuring that all Child Protection and program quality requirements are met as per the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education and YMCA Canada.
Supervision of Children
- Responsible for direct supervision of children and staff during the specified hours of operation of the childcare centre.
- Uses guidance and discipline strategies that are consistent with the philosophy of the YMCA of Saskatoon.
- Ensures that all activities offered at and away from the centre are carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Oversees schedules to reflect the needs of the children enrolled in care.
- Demonstrates and uses positive guidelines such as modelling, redirecting positive language, and positive reinforcement.
Communication with Families
- Communicates with parents/guardians regarding child development and performance.
- Ensures families receive relevant information regarding centre policies, procedures, and events.
- Registers new families and fills available spots.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of a child-directed environment and scaffolds and extends experiences for children accordingly.
- Ensures the completion of accurate and relevant programming, documentation, and journaling.
- Plans, implements, and assesses developmentally appropriate activities and experiences in accordance with the philosophy and practices of the YMCA.
- Recruits and hires new staff as required.
- Trains staff team members.
- Facilitates evaluation process.
- Facilitates individual or team conferences regarding work performance as necessary.
- Provides staff with encouragement and recognition.
- Arranges professional development for staff members.
- Ensures that the centre is maintained and in a neat, organized, and safe manner.
- Maintains communication and liaison with Speech and Language Pathologists, Behavior Consultants, and other relevant community agencies.
- Ensures that all YMCA Child Protection and Saskatchewan Ministry of Education requirements are met at the centre.
- Keeps staff and children’s files current and in accordance with regulations.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience working with children of all ages.
- Previous experience in a similar/related position.
- Early Childhood Education Level III Diploma
- Computer literate and working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel.
- Current First Aid, CPR, Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Teamwork: Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
- Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short- and long-term goals.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work-related goals.
- Flexibility/Managing Change: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
- Service Orientation: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience.
Commitment to the Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Please submit interest to: